Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Island of Lost Puzzles

Post subject: Costume Party
 Post Posted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:45 pm 

Another Halloween themed puzzle.

First puzzle I've posted here. Any feedback greatly appreciated.

Enjoy,

Bret

Attachments:
Costume Party.puz [1.88 KiB]
Downloaded 211 times
Costume Party.pdf [36.61 KiB]
Downloaded 155 times

Post subject: Re: Costume Party
 Post Posted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:56 pm 

Hey there Bret,
Mini-spoiler alerts below.
Nice simple theme to start out with, would be nice and friendly for novice solvers as there are no wordplay tricks in the theme. Playful cluing style and some fun phrases in the fill.
Suggestions/notes:
- Did not understand the clue/answer combo at 35-D. Might be my knowledge gap, but could not quite parse the meaning.
- If you submit an earlier-week theme of this type for publication, you might need to squeeze an additional theme entry into a grid design there - the bar's pretty high now ;).
- Slight consistency issue; if the first word of each phrase fits your theme, 40-A is a possessive and doesn't quite fit in the same way the others do. For here that's fine; to an editor it might be a request to change a theme answer ("***** TO PAY, GRASS, any other possibilities?). For the few submissions I've done (more of a solver here), I have had particular theme answers flagged as issues, and resubmitted after finding a better alternative.
Puzzle's got some "spirit". There's a fun and fresh vibe to some of the clues. I do like a creative spirit inherent in there, as if the creator wants you to stay and enjoy the party.

Again, not an expert in constructing here, but a long-time solver with just a few puzzle constructions. It's definitely fun to do this and I'm glad you're here. Don't have the time I once did to check here, but occasionally I stop in.

Best,
Howard

Board index » Island of Lost Puzzles