Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Island of Lost Puzzles

Post Posted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 2:04 pm 

Amy - thanks for setting this up! Here's a puzzle of mine I sent to all the editors who rejected it for some reason or another. I've had it posted on my website for a while but I thought I'd post it here too, in honor of this new forum. This one came to my mind recently when we were having a discussion about a theme entry crossing five others.

Enjoy!

Attachments:
money.puz [1.93 KiB]
Downloaded 329 times

Post Posted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 5:51 pm 

Are we supposed to guess why these puzzles were rejected?

My guess is that having four proper names and a less than familiar French phrase crammed into the northeast is what did it.

Still, crossing a 15-letter theme answer with five others is pretty darn impressive.

Post Posted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 8:02 pm 

i've never heard of BILL ENGVALL or DAYS OF HEAVEN. that's kind of a black mark against it, although that didn't really stop me from enjoying the theme anyway.

Post Posted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 7:09 am 

Very ambitious! A 15 interlocked by 5 theme entries (though without the 2 more entries on the sides - but can you say Gagliardo-esque!) You posted a similar arrangement with ANGELSANDEMONS though if I remember! The 15 is A gorgeous explanatory phrase (I know it well from doing half of my highscooling as homeschooling with an American syllabus... it's not a South African phrase) The down side is the similarity in base phrases, there's not all that much difference especially between a FIVEDOLLARBILL and a FIVEDOLLARCOIN, my bet is that's why it was vetoed? Hadn't heard of first two theme phrases either but probably that's just me! Consequently found 8D/17A intersection quite tough (22A/23D but 22A was actually easy... in retrospect) Fill highlights: HOBGOBLIN (with a Spiderman clue to boot!) and CAPN clued as "Skip" was, once I figured it out a really beautiful aha moment - one of my favorite misdirections, even if it's just a one word clue, I think because of the unexpected "PN" ending. It's still both from an entertainment and a technical aspect a fine puzzle, I might've harped on a few negatives, but just cos am sure you want to know where people's sticking spots are!

Post Posted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 7:10 am 

Insert paragraph breaks as appropriate! Sorry about that.

Board index » Island of Lost Puzzles