Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Island of Lost Puzzles

Post Posted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 4:52 pm 

Amy warned me about the problem with this puzzle. My guess is you'll all find it. Enjoy!

Attachments:
Themeless.puz [1.73 KiB]
Downloaded 259 times

Post Posted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:27 am 

Okay, I'll take a stab at it.

PAN IN and/or SLIPOVER? You "pan across" and "zoom in". I've heard of a pullover (which was what I'd filled in at first), but not a slipover.

Other than that, the only thing I can see is that it's a themeless, which means it could only run late week, but wasn't up to snuff. The long answers at top and bottom are great, but the main body's "freshness factor" is a bit lacking for a Friday themeless.

Did I win? :D

Post Posted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 6:39 am 

Not sure about a specific "problem", generally I'd agree with TS that there's not quite enough punch and also a few more less than exciting obscurities than I'd like as a solver.

Your 1A clue really grabbed my attention, Tatas are a really common marque here, was wondering if they're in the U.S. yet, are they? Cos I'd sure like to see another clue for TATA! I do like the top and bottoms 3X10 sets, though 3 out of 6 "s words" might be too much? HASFITS and the TOONS clue are also way cool!

Post Posted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:17 pm 

@TS - PANIN is definitely the winner. I can find very little support for SLIPOVER either (2 hit's on the Cruciverb DB, both by Mel Rosen).

@GB - Tata's aren't here yet (other than Jaguar), but they're supposedly coming. The $2,000 Nano sold in India is projected to cost $8,000 when it meets U.S. safety standards.

@both - thanks for the critique, it's much appreciated. That was my first ever themeless and while I agree with both of you on the dullness (Rex Parker noted that it was very RSTLNE heavy), it was a blast to construct. I may try another one in a year or two.

Board index » Island of Lost Puzzles