Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Island of Lost Puzzles

Post Posted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:32 am 

Attachment:
Words to Live By.puz [2.11 KiB]
Downloaded 252 times

---

Yeah! This one was rejected for being "too religiously specific." I thought I might be able to get away with considering it's essentially based on a 30,000,000+ selling novel (per Wikipedia.) I wasn't...

Attachments:
Words to Live By.pdf [107.17 KiB]
Downloaded 210 times

Post Posted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:54 am 

mard for me (5:30 in across lite). only one of the theme answers was familiar (35a), and i guess 22a would have been if clued via "get smart" (which i've never seen). 47a, i know the song, but spelling the title was still hard. theme phrase was familiar, but not the book.

BOREAL/OVETT/HEATHS/ASL crossings were all deadly. still don't know what ASL means in this context, but in american puzzles it's easily cluable as american sign language. TRILBY unfamiliar, too. even I SAMUEL tripped me up, since i think of those books as having arabic, not roman, numerals.

Post Posted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:10 am 

LOL! Thank you for the feedback Joon! Even if it sounds like the puzzle was torture! If Joon takes 5:30 I just don't want to know what happened to anyone else!

Those first two I think show the perils of trying for "spoken-language phrases," especially of the not in any databases type. Had no idea about the "Get Smart" connection in the latter case... though see google has. Was wondering about Americans and the familiarity of TRILBYs - now I know... ISAMUEL I've seen in about equal amounts to 1 Samuel, think it might be newer Bibles favoring Arabic numerals? That stack of the unfamiliar caught me somewhat off guard, was aware of OVETT as being tough but not the others (though I did consider L'OREAL/LOD at the time, might've been a better solution! Hindsight!) Let's see ASL is "Age, Sex, Location" can't say I've been to the type of chatroom where you'd actually use that! but I've learnt it by osmosis somehow - the perils of trying to be too hip?

Post Posted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:22 pm 

either I samuel or 1 samuel is okay. i just stumbled on it because i wasn't expecting it. once i saw it started with ISA___, i kept trying to get ISAIAH to fit.

the puzzle wasn't torture, just tough. i know i've seen ASL clued that way before (probably in a tausig puzzle), but i also know that it went out of my head as soon as i saw it, so it basically came down to a random TLA.

i think BOREAL/BOD is better than LOREAL/LOD, but given that BOREAL isn't the most familiar word (though it's etymologically related to borealis, which is somewhat familiar) and OVETT isn't the most well-known either, straightforward clues for BOD and HEATHS might be called for. "erica" to an american basically just means a girl's name. it had never occurred to me until just now that erica and heather are basically the same name, even though i suspect erica comes from erik which has nothing to do with plants.

Post Posted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 8:53 pm 

17 minutes until I gave up. (Clueless on how to finish the middle-east.)

Lots of delicious "a-HA!" moments.

But religion is on a plane with politics as something not discussed in crossword puzzles. I don't see this one crossing the line, but there it is anyway.

Board index » Island of Lost Puzzles