Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Island of Lost Puzzles

Post subject: JPZ to PUZ Converter
 Post Posted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:31 pm 

I spent a few hours this afternoon throwing together a .jpz to .puz converter for those of us who aren't quite ready to give up our favorite solver. It supports just about everything Across Lite does, including circled letters, and it may support rebuses if you enter the first letter correctly, although this is untested. Otherwise, for most simple puzzles, it should do the trick.

Just download jpz2puz.jar.zip and unzip. If you have Java installed, you should be able to double click the .jar file, which will open a very crude UI. From there, you can select a .jpz to convert, and it will pop up a dialog saying success or failure. If it succeeded, you should have a file with the same name but the .puz extension.

For more advanced users, you can also specify the file to convert on the command line like: "java -jar jpz2puz.jar file.jpz"

For *much* more advanced users, the Java source is attached. Feel free to tinker / make improvements.

Last updated 11/21/12: fix conversion of puzzles with a description
Previous updates:
-6/10/11: fix % signs, + signs, and fancy quotes (converted to regular quotes)
-5/13/11: should fix conversions that failed due to accented characters.

Program:
Attachment:
jpz2puz.jar.zip [34.94 KiB]
Downloaded 685 times

Regular Mac .App (for Mac users having trouble with the above):
Attachment:
jpz2puz-mac.zip [162.88 KiB]
Downloaded 380 times

Source code:
Attachment:
jpz2puz-src.zip [25.82 KiB]
Downloaded 598 times

Hope this works for you! Let me know if you have problems.

Last edited by jpdavidson on Wed Nov 21, 2012 7:13 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Post subject: Re: JPZ to PUZ Converter
 Post Posted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:25 pm 

Wow! That's a fine piece of programming ... many thanks.

Art

Post Posted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:44 pm 

I should mention that much of the source for this is from Shortyz (http://code.google.com/p/shortyz), a great Android crossword application to which I've contributed a little bit. If you have an Android phone, definitely check it out!

Post Posted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:27 pm 

The author is getting stripped out in the resulting .puz file, because you're looking for "author" as opposed to "creator." Other than that, looks good.

Post Posted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 3:27 pm 

Thank you so much for doing this. Converting to Across Lite puzzle format.
I like doing them on paper with this program so much better. The printing format is so superior than the Crossword Compiler. I converted all of the ones except for the 4/10/11 one. It won't convert? Is there a problem with that one?

Thanks again. :D

Post Posted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 4:04 pm 

Alex wrote:
The author is getting stripped out in the resulting .puz file, because you're looking for "author" as opposed to "creator." Other than that, looks good.

Fixed, thanks!

PuzzleLady wrote:
I like doing them on paper with this program so much better. The printing format is so superior than the Crossword Compiler. I converted all of the ones except for the 4/10/11 one. It won't convert? Is there a problem with that one?

The jpz posted in this forum looks corrupted, which is why it didn't convert. I got the same puzzle directly from the Washington Post and it converted fine. See attached.

Attachments:
2011-4-10-HoustonChronicle.puz [1.85 KiB]
Downloaded 327 times

Post Posted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:04 am 

Is this usable on a Mac? When I opened the ZIP file, I got a folder with some files in it, but nothing that gives me a UI when I double-click it.

Post Posted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:13 am 

emaddy wrote:
Is this usable on a Mac? When I opened the ZIP file, I got a folder with some files in it, but nothing that gives me a UI when I double-click it.

Yep, I use it on a Mac. On mine you can double-click the .jar file and it should run, but you can also try opening Terminal and running "java -jar jpz2puz.jar" from the folder where the .jar file is contained (if its on your desktop, type "cd Desktop" after opening the terminal). Note that the UI is extremely small - just a tiny dialog box - so don't expect much.

Post Posted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:16 am 

This is great - thanks!

Post Posted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:06 pm 

Thanks for sending the 4-10-11 puzzle in the correct format.

Post Posted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:45 pm 

Works like a charm. Thanks for this, jp!

Post Posted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 9:26 am 

EMADDY: I use a Mac too, and this package got turned into a folder with files when I downloaded it too. Maybe something to do with the way my system is set up when it encounters .jar files. Anyway, I found that all you have to do is doubleclick the file called ConvertUI.class. That opens up the interface. Click on it and navigate to choose the .jpz file to convert to .puz.

Post Posted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 3:15 pm 

A comment on your app:

When selecting a puzzle to convert, it seems to always start in the Documents folder (at least on Win7) rather than retaining the last-used folder.

I personally keep the puzzles in a distinct folder on the desktop - do others use the Documents folder?

Any possibility of having this app retain the last-selected location?

Art

Post Posted: Mon May 02, 2011 9:28 am 

Unzipping the Java converter automatically in Mac OS X may also cause the jar file to be broken down into component pieces in a folder rather than left alone as an intact .jar file. The easiest way around this is to instead unzip it with The Unarchiver http://wakaba.c3.cx/s/apps/unarchiver.html, a free utility that can decompress many file formats. After that you can just double-click on the jpz2puz.jap app, click the button it presents, and choose your .jpz files to convert.

Post Posted: Mon May 02, 2011 11:41 am 

ArtShapiro wrote:
A comment on your app:

When selecting a puzzle to convert, it seems to always start in the Documents folder (at least on Win7) rather than retaining the last-used folder.

I personally keep the puzzles in a distinct folder on the desktop - do others use the Documents folder?

Any possibility of having this app retain the last-selected location?

Art

I've updated the app to save the last selected location - let me know if it doesn't work for you on Windows.

For Mac users having trouble with the .jar file, I've also posted a regular Mac App in the original post. Try unzipping and running that instead.

Board index » Island of Lost Puzzles