Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Island of Lost Puzzles

Post subject: Re: JPZ to PUZ Converter
 Post Posted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:27 am 

jpdavidson wrote:
Martin wrote:
Here's another that won't convert. I think I'm using the latest version.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/r/WashingtonPost/Content/Puzzles/Daily/cs110616.jpz

Thanks for the report - see updated version in OP, which fixes the "%" from that puzzle, the fancy quotes from the 06/06 puzzle (by replacing with regular quotes, the simplest fix), as well as the "+" sign disappearing.

Thanks for the great service!

Post Posted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:06 pm 

BTW, an accented character in 13-D of this one gets mangled:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/r/WashingtonPost/Content/Puzzles/Daily/cs110614.jpz

Post Posted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 6:49 pm 

Martin wrote:
BTW, an accented character in 13-D of this one gets mangled:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/r/WashingtonPost/Content/Puzzles/Daily/cs110614.jpz

*computer talk*

I spent a little time looking at this; it appears that this file is encoded UTF-8, whereas other ones in the past have been ISO-8859-1. If I fix this, I break other accented characters that have appeared in the past. I'm not sure what Crossword Solver is doing to show both correctly, but I don't see a simple way to make this work at first glance.

Post Posted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 8:43 pm 

I accidentally tried to convert a .puz file. It not only didn't convert, it was deleted! It wasn't even in the recycle bin (WinXP). Would it be in a temp folder somewhere? Tried another, same thing.

Post Posted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:53 pm 

Hello JP -- I signed up for the forum just to file a bug. :-}

I have some JPZ files that I would like to add "descriptions" to and then convert them into PUZ files so that the descriptions show up as Notes (displayed as a Post-It icon that opens the Notepad when clicked) when played on my iPad (Standalone Software's "Crosswords" app).

When I add a description in the XML tags and then use your converter, Across Lite on OS X complains about the resultant PUZ file:

Quote:
Unable to open crossword: This may not be valid Across crossword or it may be corrupted

Interestingly (or not), the Crosswords iPad app is able to import it without any problems.

As a test, I found a PUZ that contains Notes and that opens fine in Across Lite as well as Crosswords. I then opened it with Crossword Solver, and saved it as a JPZ file. Looking in the JPZ file I could see that the Note was now in the description tag.

Converting that JPZ back to PUZ, I got the same error about the file being corrupt.

The file I tested was an old Merl Reagle puzzle. I've attached it.

(I thought the issue might be odd characters or encoding, so I tested just adding just 'abc' as the description for another JPZ file, and in this case too the converted PUZ failed to open.)

Thanks - I really appreciate that you've built the tool!

Attachments:
pi101226.puz [3.56 KiB]
Downloaded 186 times

Post Posted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 7:20 pm 

I noticed and fixed the problem with notes a few months ago but hadn't gotten around to posting a fixed version of this tool. Try the latest version in the original post; I was able to convert the .puz you uploaded to a .jpz and back with no problems.

Glad to see the tool is still useful :)

Post Posted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:47 pm 

Awesome -- love it when the fix has already been made. ;-} Thanks!

Board index » Island of Lost Puzzles