Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Island of Lost Puzzles

Post subject: "And They're Off.."
 Post Posted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 2:19 pm 

Did this puzzle on a lark based on a single theme answer that I liked / wanted to use (57A). Turns out theme has been done, bigger (and likely better) many many years ago in LAT. Not that anyone will remember. Since I wasn't submitting it to a paper, I went a little nuts in places with the clues. Still, it's pretty easy [OK, I'm being told it's NOT easy — mainly because of a single theme answer that, admittedly, falls under the dangerous category of "Gimme-Or-Complete Mystery"].

Attachments:
AndTheyreOff.pdf [43.62 KiB]
Downloaded 613 times
ANDTHEYREOFF.puz [2.64 KiB]
Downloaded 1182 times

Last edited by rexparker on Wed Dec 09, 2009 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: "And They're Off.."
 Post Posted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 4:06 pm 

Ok, this puzzle took me a whole 15 seconds shorter than Joon's themeless! First thing I put down (2D) was HUEY and it went on from there. Maybe it was not looking at the title, maybe it was the fact it was a little more red-white-and-blue than most puzzles, maybe it was the brilliant way 7D/8D/15A can be BALOO/BEAR/HEAD - if it was intentional, that is (I'm betting yes.) Either way that was positively diabolical. Also was completely flummoxed by all of the musical references, which is usually an easy area for me. Also couldn't work out 73A, despite recently writing a (completely different) puzzle with the same explanatory entry and nearly the same clue. As for the theme, it's one of the "words that follow type", that people are fond of disparaging. In this case I actually think it's great mostly because of the choice of HORSES. I personally don't see how anyone would've minded seeing the puzzle again, but I can understand why it might not be so wise to encourage such practise. Another clue to file under "D" for "Deliciously diabolical" is 29D!

Post Posted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 4:27 pm 

rexparker wrote:
Did this puzzle on a lark based on a single theme answer that I liked / wanted to use (57A). Turns out theme has been done, bigger (and likely better) many many years ago in LAT. Not that anyone will remember. Since I wasn't submitting it to a paper, I went a little nuts in places with the clues. Still, it's pretty easy. Enjoy.

Both forms of the attached puzzle arrive at my machine as "File.php". Not doable.

Post Posted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 4:32 pm 

NovaScotian wrote:
rexparker wrote:
Did this puzzle on a lark based on a single theme answer that I liked / wanted to use (57A). Turns out theme has been done, bigger (and likely better) many many years ago in LAT. Not that anyone will remember. Since I wasn't submitting it to a paper, I went a little nuts in places with the clues. Still, it's pretty easy. Enjoy.

Both forms of the attached puzzle arrive at my machine as "File.php". Not doable.

I don't know what the problem might be. They work fine for me. Perhaps someone more tech-savvy can chime in. If you go to my site (http://tinyurl.com/ybtdvfu) you can print a .pdf pretty easily. Thx.

Post Posted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 4:35 pm 

Gareth Bain wrote:
Ok, this puzzle took me a whole 15 seconds shorter than Joon's themeless! First thing I put down (2D) was HUEY and it went on from there. Maybe it was not looking at the title, maybe it was the fact it was a little more red-white-and-blue than most puzzles, maybe it was the brilliant way 7D/8D/15A can be BALOO/BEAR/HEAD - if it was intentional, that is (I'm betting yes.) Either way that was positively diabolical. Also was completely flummoxed by all of the musical references, which is usually an easy area for me. Also couldn't work out 73A, despite recently writing a (completely different) puzzle with the same explanatory entry and nearly the same clue. As for the theme, it's one of the "words that follow type", that people are fond of disparaging. In this case I actually think it's great mostly because of the choice of HORSES. I personally don't see how anyone would've minded seeing the puzzle again, but I can understand why it might not be so wise to encourage such practise. Another clue to file under "D" for "Deliciously diabolical" is 29D!

Thx so much, Gareth. Just had long msg from Andrea about "Why didn't you submit it...?" If I weren't a (crosswordwise) public figure, I probably would have. But somehow I just couldn't do it, knowing the basic idea had been done. But then ... I mean, as you say, the shine and the glow here are the chosen theme answers. "Word that precede/follow" is old hat, but if the theme answers sparkle, then maybe that's enough for an early-week puzzle. Interesting debate there. Ray Hamel did the LAT Sunday-sized version of this theme. He had ... ROCKING and some other HORSES that I didn't even consider (once I hit four, and only one of them equine, I was done)

Post Posted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:25 pm 

6:23 in across lite, which is ... fridayish difficulty? never heard of the country star. actually, every single proper name in the grid had me working the crosses except SHAQ diesel (platinum, really?!?), JOSH gibson and ALF clausen. and what was former houston rockets forward mario ELIE doing at auschwitz?

the cluing in the SW corner was brutal, by the way. IVS is gettable, but every single other clue is either ultra-vague or trivia. i honestly think i would have liked this puzzle better if you hadn't told me it was going to be "pretty easy."

Post Posted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 3:27 am 

If you remain the .php file to .puz you should be able to solve it. I think it happens when you choose "Save as" instead of just double clicking; it's happened to me a few times here, can't remember the exact circumstances.

Post Posted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:17 am 

Great puzzle, Rex!!! Loved all your cultural references....but as a 39-year old from NY, why wouldn't I? Now I have the Banana Splits theme stuck in my head!!! (Fleegle, Bingo, Drooper & Snork!)

Kept wanting THE MOTELS at 20A...nice aha moment when I uncovered the FLASH =)

Board index » Island of Lost Puzzles